Tuesday, May 13, 2014

HBCU vs. PWI

So in case you haven't checked your Twitter today, or you just didn't care enough to pay attention to what others were tweeting, the big topic of discussion was HBCU's vs. PWI's. I didn't really respond or tweet anything about the subject at the time, but as the discussion went on, I began to really feel some type of way.

First of all I would like to say, in the year 2014, the discussion of HBCU vs. PWI is just STUPID, especially as African-Americans. Instead of tearing each other down about what schools we go to, we should be encouraging each other to just ATTEND a college and celebrating one another when we FINISH. Like is that so hard?!

Secondly, instead of arguing about something so trivial, the real discussion should be about what you plan to do with your degree. What good is the degree that you earned at a PWI or at an HBCU if you don't even work after the degree to get where you want to be?

Now as a PROUD graduate of my HBCU, Jackson State University, I will say that I wouldn't change ANYTHING. Not downing PWI's at all, because initially that's where I wanted to go, but the experience I got at Jackson State is one that I would have never received at a PWI. I love my school and I learned a LOT. The close-knit family of students along with the fact that my professors knew my name and genuinely wanted to help me, was aMAZING! Not saying that PWI's don't have the same thing, I'm just speaking on what I know about MY school, MY HBCU, the same HBCU that some people don't think is good enough. #imjustsaying

Well...that's pretty much all I had to say about the subject. Let me know what YOU have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment