Monday, April 16, 2012

We Have the Right, SO LET'S USE IT!!!

So this past Thursday the results for our University's elections were announced. I was happy overall for the people that won, but as far as the number of people that actually voted, I felt...some other type of way. When I saw the number of students that actually voted and compared it to the number of students that attend the school, the numbers were HORRIBLE. I mean...I just didn't understand why people didn't vote. It was literally only 13% of people that voted. Out of over 9,000 students, only a little over 1,000 voted. ...WTFlip?! It especially blew my mind to look at the breakdown of the number of people from the different classes that voted. For one candidate, it was only 41 freshmen that voted. REALLY?! There were more AKA that crossed this year. I see more than that number of people in a DAY. Like...this is CRAZY. It would be over a hundred people at the hotspots on Friday or passing through the plaza on a regular day if it feels nice outside. This showed that our generation really doesn't care. I mean...it wasn't to long ago blacks couldn't even vote. Now we're given an opportunity to, but no one wants to. Like do the young people today just not care what goes on in the world around them??? I mean...I know it's a college election, but STILL. These people are going to be put in place to represent our classes and our school as a whole. JUST VOTE. El.oh.el. And this speaks VOLUMES, seeing as how the presidential election is ALSO this year. If students couldn't vote for a simple college election, how are we ever going to get them out to vote for the PRESIDENTIAL election??? Our voices need to be heard as well, but we can't get our points across if we don't even bother to participate in what is going on around us. SMH. It just really disappoints me to see that our generation is only caught up in superficial things, such as appearance. They don't care about the real issues. They have no desire to make a difference. I mean...we CAN make a difference. This incident made me want to improve myself. I mean...all it takes is one person right? I was going to be that one person. I decided to go to the SGA office so that I could fill up one of the open positions. I felt really good. I want to make a difference, but I know it's not going to happen if I just sit around doing NOTHING. I just hope the rest of our generation realizes the same thing. Make a change in the world. Start TODAY. All it takes is one small step. Well...
Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. yeen mad is ya?
    lol

    I am so glad you went and filled a spot!! you go girl!!

    imma vote next time... i promise :-)

    ReplyDelete